Thursday, July 15, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Monday, January 25, 2010
I must be missing Central Pennsylvania lately because a lot of my recent food endeavours have been childhood favorites. In the past few months I have made ham pot pie,halushki,Hungarian goulash,and now Gobs. I have been searching high and low for a gob recipe and I would find one that the cake bun looked good but I did not like the icing recipe or vice versa. So I combined a couple recipes and put some of my chica spin on it. I am happy with how they turned out, I may tweak them a little in the future but for now here is the recipe.
Chica's Chocolate Gob's
4 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1/2 Tsp baking powder
2 Tsp baking soda
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of buttermilk * If you do not have buttermilk you can add 1Tbsp of lemon/lime juice to
milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use this in place of buttermilk*
1/2 cup of Crisco shortening
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs of cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream together sugar and shortening
2. Add eggs,milk,water,and vanilla,then set aside.
3. In a separate bowl sift together sift together four,baking powder,baking soda and cocoa.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the first mixture,beating constantly until all are
5. Drop by Tbsp onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
6.Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. *I have found that exactly 5 minutes is perfect*
7. cool completely.
Icing recipe (Butter cream frosting)
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup butter
1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp popcorn salt *popcorn salt dissolves better and will minimize gritty butter cream texture*
2 tsp vanilla extract. you can use 1tsp each vanilla and butter extract. I only had vanilla
2 Lb bag of powder sugar
1. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
2. Take the warm water and add the popcorn salt to it. Stir until all the salt is dissolved. Add the
vanilla extract to the cup and stir well.
3. Alternating with the water mixture and the powdered sugar slowly start adding them to
the creamed mixture. Go slow and incorporate all items. Once they are all combined mix on
med low-med for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Once the cake buns are completely cooled frost one side and push them together to form a
5. Wrap the completed gobs in wax paper or cling wrap and store in the fridge.